Saturday, September 18, 2010

Baseball and Poetry

I've never been much of a sports fan, especially baseball. Even though baseball is said to be "cerebral" and therefore a game that should attract a poet like me, I find it slow and tedious. Good poetry, on the other hand, I find action packed like great soccer or basketball. A good poem is filled with internal rhyme, metaphor, simile, enjambment, and fast moving imagery.

Maybe that is why I got a puzzled look at the end of a line several years ago. Seamus Heaney, the Nobel prize winning Irish poet was reading in Seattle and I was looking for the line for the tickets. I found a long line and got in it. I inquired, is this the line for Seamus Heaney tickets. Who? This is for the Mariners. Perhaps if she had been a soccer or basketball fan, she would have know the great poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment